Friday, December 09, 2005

The Survival of the New Orleans Blog

If you go to Technorati's Top 100 Blogs, you can see the most popular blogs in the blogosphere, based on links from blogs to blogs in the last six months. As I scrolled through the list of accomplished bloggers, I saw "The Survival of the New Orleans Blog". It was number 100. Michael Barnett, the blogger, posts about life in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. He says that he tells the truth about what it's like to live there, how people are losing their jobs, and that simple repairs are still very far from complete. In his last post, he leaves his readers with some advice "tell the truth- in the long run you'll be doing more good than harm". I found it intersting that he included this tidbit of insight, because in my crisis communication class all we've been hearing is "tell it all, tell it fast", "be honest". In learning that practitioners perspective and seeing Michael give the same advice in times of a crisis, it makes him a more credible source to me. His honesty and honesty about honesty made me want to keep reading. Even though he could just be a regular guy venting, (there wasn't really any information about who he was in the blog), I believed what he had to say. Maybe that's all bloggers can do.. be honest and original, and hope that they're seen as credible sources.