Alright, by now I think that many of us have a pretty good idea of the momentum corporate blogging is picking up and the potential benefits towards one's career for starting a blog. However, amongst all this hype and hurry there is still a question that I think many others, myself included, have towards starting a blog which is; what do I blog about? For those of us in college right now, this concept is seemingly hard to grasp. In the good old teenage days we didn't have to worry about what kind of information we used to present ourselves as because most of the time it was in a joking manner and it was also only known about by our own friends. Now, i hate to say it, but it's time to face the music. Ahhh we are getting old!! People take what we say seriously and even worse (for some), our careers depend on the way in which we choose to show ourselves in the public eye (myspace, blogs, ect...).
So I was interested if i could get some good advice about how, or what to blog about. After doing a little research of my own I found a great post by Debbie Weil
titled, Top 7 tips to write an effective business blog
. The 7 tips she gave are as follows:
1. Start with a topic you're passionate about.
-Basically this means the theme of your blog and it should be related to the business or profession that you are interested in.
2. Concentrate on shorter, more frequent entries in your blog
-Feewww! I'm always worried about whether or not a post is going to win the nobel peace prize or not, but I guess it's better to be consistantly involved.
3. Let yourself go as a writer; let your authentic “voice” emerge
- Now this is the tricky part. Since we are "adults" now we need to find a happy medium that allows us to express ourselves, but at the same time mean business.
4. Use correct grammar and syntax (no misspellings allowed, just as on your resume or your site)
- arrrg, i luv typin in mah' own style but i guess that is a bad habit i need to break!
5. Purposefully organize the content of your blog
- Think about who might be reading your blog and how to get more traffic by using tricks like keywords.
6. Post a new entry at least once a week, preferably two or three times a week
- This may take some discipline but i think it can be done.
7. Include your key contact information on your blog
- Thats the purpose of the blog! Get your name out there and make sure others can get in touch with you if they are interested in your insights.
8. BONUS TIP - HAVE FUN WITH THE BLOG!
- This is my favorite tip because we all need to just hang loose sometimes you know?
Debbie also emphasized that better blogs come from good writing and that the corporate world is in dire need for good writing. I think these tips are some great things to keep in mind when starting a blog. What do all of you think? Would you change or add something?