Friday, November 11, 2005

How do you make employees care?

Dr. Carl’s idea of synthetic transparency and our talk about scripts and call centers in Cameron’s book made me critically rethink organizational culture and organizational identity. When a company has ideals and a direction they want their company to go, is it wrong for them to encourage their employees to act a certain way? Even if it’s completely fake? All I can think about is checking out at a chain grocery store. Those are not happy people for the most part and I often leave thinking how they could’ve cared less that I was there (not that they need to) but a smile or a "have a nice night" would’ve been a little more encouraging. Though if they’re reading it off of a sticker on their register, I’m not sure that’s any better either. I don’t know what the right answer is but it has to be a combination of finding employees that believe in the values of the company or the right motivation from the management. Is scripting so bad for employees that wouldn’t bother to acknowledge the customer otherwise?

I don’t know how I feel one way or the other, I would like to think every employee cares but I know that’s not the case so I wanted to see if anyone had any insight into this phenomenon.